This post’s title is a bit deceiving. I probably shouldn’t have labeled these as my “top” (or even “favorite, had I gone that far) writing quotes, as I’m a bit of a quote whore and love, well, so many.
However, I have at least managed to include only writing quotes.
(Let me tell you, it was tough.)
Nevertheless, these are 10 motivational quotes (in no particular order) that I often turn to when I need a professional or creative boost, my perspective’s a bit out of whack, or I just need to feel connected to someone else.
1. “The most beautiful things are those that madness prompts and reason writes.” – Andre Gide
2. “The drudgery of being a professional writer comes in trying to make good days out of bad days and in squeezing out the words when they won’t just flow.” – Benjamin Cavell (Haven’t we all had days like this?)
3. “No one is asking, let alone demanding, that you write. The world is not waiting with bated breath for your article or book. Whether or not you get a single word on paper, the sun will rise, the earth will spin, the universe will expand. Writing is forever and always a choice – your choice.” – Beth Mende Conny (Pretty much applicable to everyone but J.K. Rowling.)
4. “Writing is a struggle against silence.” – Carlos Fuentes
5. “Talent is helpful in writing, but guts are absolutely essential.” – Jessamyn West
6. “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.” – Mark Twain
7. “What I like in a good author isn’t what he says, but what he whispers.” – Logan Pearsall Smith
8. “I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I am not afraid of falling into my inkpot.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. “Words – so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
10. “How vain is it to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.” – Henry David Thoreau (Now, go do something.)
How about YOU? Do any of these quotes about writing resonate with you? Or, do you have a few of your own favorite writing quotes you’d like to share?