Writers Use Words To Captivate Us In Different Ways

by Alicia Sparks on March 11, 2011

The first page of 'The Knight's Tale' in Ellesmere manuscript.

This post is part of the Words Matter 2011 Blog Challenge sponsored by the National Association of Independent Writers and Editors.

Day 5 Blog Challenge Question:

Words, like moths, are captured by writers who pin them to the page in various forms. What writer’s work most deftly captivates you?

Oh, how I wish that read writers’ and not writer’s.

Really? Just one writer?

That’s tough.

Each writer who captivates me with words does so for different reasons.

The stories they tell. The characters they introduce. The messages within them.

For example, Mark Twain captivates me with the way he can slip into each character so easily, and make me believe that character is real – that that character is actually talking to me. Edgar Allan Poe captivates me with how effortlessly each word in every poem fits so well you’d swear it was made to lead the one it’s in front of, and follow the one it’s behind. J.K. Rowling captivates me with the way she can add layer upon layer upon layer in one story, and still surprise me with something new during the, oh, 37th reading of the Harry Potter series.

So, for me, it’s impossible to choose just one writer whose work captivates me, as words can captivate us for various reasons, depending on how the writer plucks, positions, and pets them.

This brings the Words Matter 2011 Blog Challenge to an end! Want to catch up on the previous four posts?

Image Source: Wikipedia

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Vanja March 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Alicia,
What a great, great website! I love your vibe and creativity – great articles as well!
It was so difficult for me, as well, to choose ONE writer hehehehe… I love your opening -so witty!

Vanja March 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm

hahahaha, I have green face!!!! hahahahaha

Claire Vorster March 16, 2011 at 5:38 am

Alicia I am with you on this! Where to start? The first book you pick up as a kid is the best you ever read until the next one. The book that makes me think – how did you EVER write that!? is Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

The beautiful thing about words is they are meant to be shared, glad to be sharing them with you x

C

Krishna Papan August 8, 2011 at 11:55 am

A book I read recently that really captivated me is “Half Broke Horses” by Jeannette Walls. It was written so tightly that each short chapter was almost worth being a stand-alone short story. I felt like I lived this woman’s life along side her.

Jaron Deerwester August 21, 2011 at 11:05 am

“Would you believe even Chaucer captivates me? Even once I learned to read Middle English – to read words I didn’t even recognize – I still struggled. Yet, I struggled happily, because I was that fascinated with the characters in The Canterbury Tales.”

I understand completely! The old greats – Chaucer and Shakespeare, Marlowe – have really held up amazingly. I still remember obsessing over the old plays (old second hand copies of their works), fascinated by their choices of words and amazed by how well they lines flowed – even in language so archaic that it seems foreign now. I still find myself muttering the old memorized passages now and again.

Alicia August 21, 2011 at 11:14 am

Jaron Deerwester :

I still find myself muttering the old memorized passages now and again.

I do, too! Mostly Shakespeare, and mostly “Macbeth.” (And, while we’re on the mostlys, mostly “Out, damn’d spot!” Teehee :) )

Michelle Collins October 10, 2011 at 11:19 am

Your right on with Mark Twain, his character development is unlike anyone’s. I can read his books over and over.

Eddie August 6, 2012 at 11:23 am

Words definitely captivate people in different ways. I agree with you the I enjoy reading J.K. Rowling and now with my wife and many other women obsessed with the book “50 shades of gray” or should I say the whole trilogy. The words in these 3 books are so captivating that it started an immediate mini-following. I find it hard to choose just one great writer, but I will enjoy the journey as I keep on reading. Thanks!!